Our Favorite Flank Steak Marinade
· 1 flank steak
· 1/3 cup olive oil
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
· 1/3 cup soy sauce
· ¼ cup honey
· ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
1. Score the surface of the steak with ¼ inch deep knife cuts, about an inch apart, across the grain. Combine the marinade ingredients. Place steak and marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag. Coat the steak well with the marinade. Seal the bag and place in a bowl. Chill and marinade for at least 2 hours.
2. Take the steak out of the marinade bag and sprinkle coarse salt and freshly ground pepper on each side. Place steak on hot grill. If using a gas grill, cover the grill. Grill 4-6 minutes on each side. Halfway through grilling on each side, turn the steak 90 degrees so that you will get more grill marks.
3. Flank steak is best eaten medium rare; well done will make it too tough. When steak is cooked to your preferred doneness, remove from grill and place on cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Carve in thick slices against the grain.